Tuesday, January 13, 2015

1001 cranes: 千羽鶴: The struggle begins

In Hawaii, it's tradition for a Japanese-American wedding to have 1,001 gold cranes (千羽鶴), often used as the welcome board for the wedding reception, for the wedding.

This whole time, I thought it was a Japanese tradition, but after being to a fair share of weddings here in Japan, I realized it's a Hawaii thing.


The bride-to-be is supposed to fold 1,000 cranes (and the groom does one for good luck) to show she is hard working and diligent (so I've heard).

And now that I'm officially engaged, I figure I better get started!

Day One of being a Teyoncé to my Beyoncé fiancé. Lol

I decided since we don't know where we are moving and I'll have to bring the display back to Japan for our party here in Tokyo, I don't want to make the "traditional" size. 

Usually they use the regular size origami and the display ends up being the size of a movie poster. 

I decided to cut the regular origami paper into 16 squares so the display is easily transportable and won't take up too much room in our home wherever it may be. 

Crane number 1/1000
The struggle has begun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment