Friday, March 13, 2015

Mokumeganeya and Tachikawa

Friday the 13th.

The second one in a row this year... I think this is a rare occurrence.

And with this strange and eerie day, comes my date with the B in the midst of cleaning up and moving out of my apartment.

We met up in Tachikawa, which is where we had our first date, and were on the lookout for a restaurant to have dinner at when I spotted 杢目金屋 (Mokumeganeya).

This place uses the Mokume-gane style of metal smithing to create wood grain patterns out of metals.  They basically layer different metals in various combinations, heating, pounding and twisting the metal to create the pattern.

They used to make the guards on a katana using this method and now they make rings and other fine jewelry.

At first, the B was NOT interested in going in, but I wanted to see their sakura diamond in person, so he humored me by going in.


After looking at their displays, he actually gained interest and we sat down to get more info and see more samples.


The B decided that he wanted his wedding band from here!


I was super jealous because I wanted it first, but while he was selecting what metals he wanted in his ring and  the shape and pattern, I was looking at the sakura diamond.



They're made beautifully.  

A standard round brilliant cut diamond has 58 total facets while the round sakura cut diamond has a total of 87.


It actually has two layers of sakura on it!  One in the cuts of the crown and the other in the base of the pavilion.


After a while, the B said that I could get a diamond if I really wanted it, but it was kind of silly for me to have three rings.


Then the salesman said that they also made pendants!

SOLD!!!!!


We ended up getting these diamonds called kizuna diamonds.  


They're called kizuna diamonds because they were cut from the same stone.

The sakura diamond on the left is mine and will be made into a pendant.

The kizuna diamond on the right is the B's and will be set in his wedding band.


The fitting for his ring will be sometime in mid-April and I am soon excited to see it!

Three hours later, we were starving and hit up McDonalds... which was right across from our first date site!


Yep, starbucks.  We actually met up here after work one day back in February 2012 and had coffee... for four hours. lol.  

Since then, they have renovated and revamped the shop, but this location is still special to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment